This recipe was created and contributed by Kaylie Booth, a registered dietitian and the creator of the healthy dessert blog, Healthy Hacks. Her mission is to make desserts as nutritious as they are delicious. Check out her newest and tastiest healthy cookie recipe yet! Bonus – zero guilt!
How this healthy cookie recipe came to be
Pumpkin seeds – where have you been all my life? Technically hiding out inside a pumpkin, but no need to wait for October to get your fix of these plant based protein powerhouses! Pumpkin seeds are a plant-based complete protein. This means they provide all 9 of the amino acids that the body can’t make on its own and have to be obtained from food. They’re also high in fiber, full of healthy fats, and can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, and arthritis.
But besides being full of nutrients, they’re totally delicious! And they’re packed inside a variety of flavors of Health Warrior Bars! Can you say “versatile”?
And if you’re a chocolate and peanut butter lover like I am (and let’s face it…who isn’t!?), you’re going to want to check out the Dark Chocolate Peanut Pumpkin Seed Bar in particular. You get just the right amount of chocolate, mixed with the crunch of the peanuts and pumpkin seeds, all in one perfectly portable bar. And if you can manage to not eat all the bars as soon as they get inside your home, they also make the perfect addition to these protein packed, totally portable, chocolate peanut butter cookies.
They’re incredibly simple to make, too. All you have to do is blend the Health Warrior Bars until they’re a flour-like consistency, mix them with the rest of the ingredients, and bake them off! Throw a few in a zip lock bag and pop them in your gym bag for a delicious post workout snack, pack them in your kiddo’s lunch for a secretly healthy dessert, or bake them off one at a time for a nutrient packed late night snack!
Get your own Pumpkin Seed Bars to get baking!
About 15 cookies
- 4 Health Warrior Dark Chocolate Peanut Pumpkin Seed Bars
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 cookie sheet trays with parchment paper.
- Blend the Health Warrior Dark Chocolate Peanut Pumpkin Seed Bars in a food processor or blender until they reach a flour-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peanut butter, applesauce, and maple syrup.
- Add the Health Warrior bars, oats, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1 heaping tablespoon of dough, roll it into a ball between your hands, place the ball on the prepared cookie tray, and flatten the dough ball to about ¼” thick with the bottom of a flat cup or your hands.
- Repeat step 6 until all the dough is used up – it should make about 15 cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are firm to the touch.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the tray (about 10 min.) and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.